Sunday, December 14, 2008

I Like My First Life


I was introduced to second life about a year and a half ago through work. Princeton University has a Second Life presence and one of the first things built was a replica of the library in Pine Hall. Very ornate. SL now turns out to not have evolved much, at least graphically. It’s difficult to navigate as my system is lowly regarded by SL: “Your computer is a piece of junk and all of SL’s functionality may not be available.” Thanks. I found my system struggling to keep up with tasks, the result being jumpy images and commands.

I’m not a fan. Nothing personal to SL, I just have a strong dislike for games requiring role playing and fantasizing. I’ve never once played “Dungeons and Dragons” so maybe I lack that experience. It seems SL is getting eerily close to the fantasy world Anderson created in “Feed”.

My experience with SL was disorienting and disappointing. I was incredibly frustrated because my inferior laptop couldn’t handle the processing necessary and I found myself impatiently punching arrow keys to move around. The SL world seems pretty bland at this point but I assume there are bustling communities, which makes me sad—quit living your fantasy life online, get off your butts and live your life in the real world!

No comments: